STEAM and Maker Education: Inclusive, Engaging, Self-Differentiating
By Jackie Gerstein, Ed.D.
When a kid builds a model rocket, or a kite, or a birdhouse, she not only picks up math, physics, and chemistry along the way, she also develops her creativity, resourcefulness, planning abilities, curiosity, and engagement with the world around her.
Maker Education, as I observed, has the following characteristics:
- Participation is driven by intrinsic motivation
- Maker education lends itself to 100% engagement by 100% participants almost 100% of the time.
- Maker education is self-differentiating.
- Age levels and gender are blurred; does not affect participation, engagement, and interest.
- Maker education activities are multidisciplinary and authentic.
- Maker education reinforces and teaches resilience.
Read the full aricle : STEAM and Maker Education: Inclusive, Engaging, Self-Differentiating